If you are worried about seasonal infections or viruses such as Swine Flu, then now is the time to take action and strengthen your immune system in a natural way.
One of the most influential factors in maintaining a healthy immune system is relaxation, particularly if you are the sort of person that runs on high stress or anxiety.
Being able to manage stress is an important factor in keeping your immune system functioning well.
It is often beyond our control to influence the factors that contribute to stress (work, finances, redundancy etc) but what we can do, is manage ourselves well, to reduce the impact.
It has been known for a long time that stress affects the immune system and our ability to fend off invading infections such as the Swine Flu bug.
Psychological stress such as anxiety has been shown to increase susceptibility to viral infection. Subjects exposed to stress showed increases in infection rates from 74% to 90%, and clinical colds rose from 27% to 47%. (McEwen & Stellar, 1993)
Relaxation techniques are known to be immune-enhancers and one of the most effective of these is a deep hypnotic relaxation, particularly when geared specifically to strengthening the individual’s immune function. The use of hypnosis not only teaches the body to relax and restore, but also contributes to a positive mental attitude and an optimistic outlook. These factors make a big difference in how the body fights disease.
At certain times of year, seasonal changes often bring an increased vulnerability to infections and illness, so as summer draws into autumn, I am making a special offer of a one off session to boost your immunity and increase your ability to regularly relax. This session will be geared to your specific needs. You will come away with a personal CD recording that you can use as often as you want to, at no extra cost. Call me to arrange an appointment to suit you.
Here are some other tips that will help you to stay healthy.
- Make sure that you eat well, by including natural whole-foods in your diet, particularly lots of dark green vegetables and brightly coloured fruits & veg. These will give your body the nutrition and antioxidants needed for optimal health. Also include grains, pulses, seeds, nuts and the essential omega fats that are found in fish oil or flax oil.
- Take pro-biotic supplements and eat foods that encourage good gut flora, such as live yogurt, miso, sauerkraut. Approximately 70% of your immune function relies on having healthy levels of good bacteria in your gut.
- Make sure that you are drinking enough water, particularly in the hotter weather. If you want your body to be fighting fit, it needs to be hydrated. Water is also excellent for helping the body to rid itself of toxins.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol, caffeine and refined sugars
- Make sure you get enough good quality sleep. If this is a difficult issue for you, hypnotherapy can help you to get restful nights sleep.
- Get regular exercise
- Do something nice for yourself on a regular basis.
Stay healthy this winter – take time to relax.